Sunday, September 26, 2010

Slow Cooker Chicken with Black Beans and Sweet Potato

Yesterday, I tried out my recipe of the week and had the neighbors over to....share the experience.  I told them to be there at 7:30pm and be dressed to go out to eat...just in case.  The recipe is as follows:

Ingredients:
8 boneless, skinless chicken thighs
2 tsp ground cumin
dash of salt and pepper
1 tsp ground paprika
1/2 tsp ground allspice
1 cup chicken broth
1/2 cup salsa
3 garlic cloves, chopped
1 can (15-19 oz) of black beans (rinsed and drained)
4 medium sweet potatoes (peeled and cut into 2 inch chunks)

Directions:
Mix all ingredients with the exception of chicken, beans and sweet potatoes in a bowl. In the slow cooker, combine the beans and sweet potatoes.  Place the chicken on top of the mixture, then pour broth mixture over the chicken.  Cook on low for 8 hours or on high for 4 hours.

Number of Servings: 6

Fat: .5g, Carbs 35g, Calories 307.2, Protein 6.6g

The Low Down:
First, I couldn't find "skinless boneless chicken thighs", so I bought ones with skin and bones and just ripped the skin off myself.  The end result looked and smelled amazing.  The overall opinion was that is was good, everyone would eat it again, but it was a little bland.  I used mild salsa and I think if I make it again, I would use hot/spicy.  Also, one can of black beans didn't seem to be enough, I would recommend two or three cans or maybe on of those honkin cans.  Now, for those of you with skills equal to mine, here's a tip: Cumin is a spice.  It look me 20 mins in Publix to figure that out.  And a "garlic clove" is the little chunks inside of the main garlic head, so don't use three garlic heads.  I might add even more garlic, since it was so "bland".    Also, I just noticed the cutting directions of the sweet potatoes.  I cut mine in half...and that works too.  The meal was very light, but filling.  It definitely tasted healthy.

I am getting more and more comfortable having people over and hosting.  I actually really enjoy it.  I can't wait for next week; steak tacos!

oh, ps.  I still didn't take a picture, but the dish was really pretty

-jd

1 comment:

  1. sounds good...if you ever have any food questions, feel free to ask...i'll help if i can :)

    ReplyDelete